Wednesday, July 2, 2008

oh the fall brings so many choices




When I finished producing Chimes, I considered my next logical step was to produce a 106...I told myself that my second year I should gain experience, then do a 106. Well I'm all set for that and hopefully Theoryland can make it to there, but I've also been thinking about back-up/alternate options. I have built up 106 so much in my mind as to think I HAVE to make one, and yes, I really do in my time here as a major, but if it's not the right project, it's not the right time. I told myself that even if Theoryland doesn't get in, I would just try and produce someone else's project...but now I am more skeptical about that thought. I think I would want to produce an animation, so perhaps with the right people, and a great idea, I would jump on a project post-pitching. But if it's not right for some reason, I'm thinking "no" because to produce a project is a very serious idea to me; I would want to put my all into it. That's my thought for now, yet again once I step in that production hallway, I may think differently, we shall see.

As I start again with Greenscreen, I am reminded how much time and commitment it takes, so that makes me excited that even if Theoryland doesn't get in, I will still have my "in" with production; and even better because lately I have been really into collaborating and facilitating, even more than making my own art. For example I have lately thought of the job world of agents and management...something I never really thought of before in terms of the entertainment business.

So here are the options:

(1) If Theoryland gets in:

-106
-Greenscreen
(this will be the case no matter what)
-Cam Con

(2)* If Theoryland doesn't get in (even thought I hope it does!)

-Get a job at Campbell Hall theatre (they offered me a job during reel loud; I like the people, and it gets me back in the theatre)
-Greenscreen
-Cam Con

*And for Option #2, the thing for me to think about is that I might be more prone to work on IVDV (which I feel an obligation to do so because I practically started it; and REEL LOUD (which has been really close to my heart since I started UCSB).
-Reel loud begins in the winter, which would interfere with 106 in terms of priority.
-
I think this year IVDV may be in the winter

If I produced Reel Loud, I would want that to be my priority for spring(but hopefully I can talk Joe into creating a new system of leadership, so instead of one producer, there are 4 {like IVDV}, that way there is more team work, rather than a faulty dictatorship like this year.

-And 106 gives me no time for a job, in conjunction with Greenscreen...so having a job would be pretty nice, especially come Reel Loud time in terms of making a film- for Reel Loud, making a film is magical...I want to be on the committee and make a film; I know that that causes some issues...even though I don't think it caused much for me this past year, but there is a huge difference in making a film and making the festival...I don't know if I would be able to relinquish the magic of making a film so that's something to think about too.

So there are some things to think about; i guess getting those options on paper may clear things up for me soon...but essentially I can't really plan much of this because everything is based on what happens after the pitches.

It's just so exciting I have all these options, yet a little overwhelming that I will have to choose my priorities and annoying because I can't do everything!

If anyone actually read this and understands, and you have any comments or thoughts, let me know, otherwise here's to a lengthy "note-to-self!"

No comments: