Saturday, February 2, 2008

written catharsis

Today I got over my fear of writing a short film and began the first draft of the Reel Loud that I am making. I say that I am making with great intent since I am kind of surprised I'm so sure of it. I fee like I need to at least do one that is my idea because until now in the film dept, though I have learned a lot and had lots of artistic expression, I have not completely started a project on my own. That, surprisingly or not has caused me to slightly fear writing something. I always seem to have ideas but never get them on paper beyond a single phrase. I got the feeling a week ago, while watching Into the Wild, which is a surprise, because while I thought it was a good movie, I didn't love it, and since then have been thinking about writing this idea I had. The first thing I did was call six actors that I wanted to work with. I told them I had this idea and am very unsure about it and have not written one word about it, but would love it if they were in it, and they all said yes! I guess that means I'm making it. And that means a lot because I wrote the first draft
today.


So I got over two things already that I didn't think I would soon: writing and fully initiating a project. The last thing is that I have yet to direct, which in this case I am co-directing with Klop, not because I am scared or unsure but plainly because I like being creative with him and I want to be questioned. As much as I want this to be my reel loud and my first true artistic expression (which btw I think people will be surprised with how deep and poetic I tend to be) I want this to be a fun time. It might be a bit odd that I felt the need to secure actors before writing anything, but it got me to make a commitment and the idea is very personal/character driven so it will be fun to scope these characters according to these specific actors.

My only concern is that I tend to want to get really emotional and abstract and have to remember that the way to do this with film is to make is understandable to the audience in some sense. I think Klop will be able to help me do that! Oh and I am happy that Ace agreed to DP it because he and i were both interns on Best Leader and have since paralleled each other in our progress with film so it will be nice to come together and work with each other once again.

I don't know if it will good. But I DO know that it will be fun. And that it will be done. That's good enough for me right now :)

Stay tuned for more info as this comes closer...filming will be probably one weekend after spring break. And I'm also stoked because I can bring in my new production name into the mix since I decided to whip that out at my first personal film...but no worries I figured a way that LShap Productions can still stick around too! (ooh all mysterious...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! good job, girlie, I'm proud that you conquered that fear of writing...I remember discussing the subject with you a while back. I, similarly, conquered an artistic fear the other day and you'll be happy to know that the products were some extra bitchin' designs for your logo. and apparently I might need to change the name for a few of them?

Lshap Productions said...

haha thanks! welcome to the comment board of my blog!

wait really? can i see some samples? oh and i'm not sure if you are talking about mike's suggestion to change my name or what i mentioned about a new name..but we can talk about it :)

Steven Ray Morris said...

I wish I could be part of this project, but I am excited to see what comes from the mind of Lisa Shapiro ;D

Ginny said...

how exciting! i can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lshap Productions said...

thanks for the encouragement..i need it haha..and did i mention money too? lol.