Tuesday, January 1, 2008

the first of the month; not just a number

New years for me is kind of like thanksgiving. It's a time for me to look toward the past and evaluate my current state. I barely look toward the present; memory is too important for me to jump to what has yet to occur. I figure I'll glean on that later. It's also a time to have fun. Somewhere in between the two, I of course make time to make a list.

Every year I make a list of "firsts" when I get home from my new year’s eve celebrations. It means more to me than any top ten list ever would. It’s fast and spontaneous and totally candid. Sometimes it’s obvious, sometimes there’s surprises. And it only includes the instant things that happen that night. Any other categories are listed but I don’t wait for them to happen or encourage them to happen. I will mentally fill them in when they do and (perhaps) post some of those when they are filled in. I sometimes contemplate why I don't do a "last" list; I guess my answer is because that's just plain sad.

It would be nice if everyone made a list like this and posted it so the people involved can see. It's nice to stop and think of the little things in life beyond booze and vast resolutions. Feel free to steal my categories but it’s the best to add some of your own! (I never look back at my previous year until the next new years day).

Here they are as of 12:00.01- 2008:

First hug- Michelle
First cry- EK
First call- Steven
First words: “woo!”
First "deep" intellectual convo- Michael
First Aim- EK
First I love you- Tessa
First song- Bright eyes- First day of my life
First drink- Starbucks Christmas Blend Coffee
First bite of food- Homemade lemon cake
First face book wall post- Justin
First real laugh- Steven
First solid thought- “I’m lucky for what I have”
First saved photo in my 2007 college album: chimes cast and crew group
First TV show watched: tie: New Year’s Rockin Eve confetti clean-up and new years wish from Hugh Hefner
First “that feeling inside:” When wishing friends happy new year and contacting a few even though “it’s been a while”
First news watched: ABC weather report
First website visited: umail (duh)
First news read: Ski accident that kills Michael Kennedy
First incoming email: Facebook: “Ryan wrote on your wall”
First thing read: LA times Calendar section


Still waiting for:

First laugh until I cry:
First cry until I laugh:
First kiss:
First joke that people laugh at:
First real LOL:
First movie in a theatre:
First film related task:
First live performance:
First You tube Video commission by someone else that I actually enjoy:
First use of a personal joke:
First disappointment:
First complaint:
First photo:
First lesson:
First regret:
First sent email:
First compliment given:
First compliment received:
First surprise:
First memorable saying by a friend or someone I admire:
First purchase:

3 comments:

attagrl said...

Lisa--Something I do every new year's day is invite my friends over and we all sit around the dining room table cutting images from magazine and making collages on poster board on what we want to create for our lives (and the world) in the new year. It's an all day event and we go over last years collage and explain to new collage to the group. it's a powerful way to set the new year in motion. -kate (http://seeingisaverb.wordpress.com)

Lshap Productions said...

wow, that sounds so nice. definitely something I would do. Thanks for sharing!

KaMeek Lucas Taitt said...

Hey,

I see you're an aspiring Producer. I'm an aspiring Filmmaker as well, always looking to network :)

Here's my website, email, and myspace page.

www.chapter4entertainment.com
KLT@chapter4entertainment.com
http://www.myspace.com/twistoffatemovie

Ka.Meek