Monday, January 28, 2008

SBIFF Producer's Panel

On Saturday Jan 26th, there was a Producer's Panel at the Lobero Theatre as part of the SB International Film Festival.

Those in attendance:

Daniel Lupi (There will be Blood)
Craig Zaden and Neil Meron (Hairspray, Chicago)
James L. Brooks (The Simpsons)
Leanne Halfon (Juno)

Lupi: "Paul Thomas Anderson gets what he wants"- (haha that's basically all he said!)

Zaden: "invaluable to have private and prior prep with actors."
"As Producer you can't really behave badly"

Meron: "Make what works, even try to enhance what you have and be responsible."

Brooks: "To direct, you have to have some sort of insanity that this is the most important thing at the time."
"Tone ranks up there with story."
"You have to let someone go if they are not going to work."
"If everyone is doing their work and disagreeing, everything will be okay."
"Loyalty is confused."
"Being a producer is very vague because you do everything."

Halfon: Being a Producer means you "have to have that pitch in your head and keep it constant."
"Smaller budget is lecense to be talked to less."

I was intrigued by the conversations. I was, though a little surprised about how little the panelists acknowledged those in the audience. The panel felt a little impersonal, yet it was informative. Maybe that's why I found myself not being very motivated to talk to anyone of them afterwards. I guess I didn't want it to be a meeting in which I just say my name and what film I am represented followed by a meek "well...nice to meet you." But nonetheless I'm glad I went because they said many things about producing that I agreed and could relate with. And I look forward to the Directors Panel later this week!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

yeah, i thought one of the most interesting topics of discussion was about whether or not they support the writers' strike and how they feel the strike will impact the industry in the long run. the panel became a lot more engaged when they disagreed about it.