Tuesday, March 25, 2008

make things

experimental film...

The Reel Loud Film Festival is an annual silent film festival at UCSB. The films are shot and screened on film and accompanied by live musical acts. It's our department's largest event.

I have always (I've been to one, lol) seen this festival as the time of opportunity. It's a time for people to get out and make make make, who otherwise would not be able or know how to. This is the time to get together and independently work on a short film with friends and have a magnificant exhibition space. (Campbell Hall seats around 800 people)

One of the reasons I decided to be on the committee was to be a facilitator of this opportunity. There is much emphasis on the actual event, but not enough, I think on the opportunity of producing films. A limited amount of students think they have the confidence or resources to make a reel loud. I decided to try to change that image that may make reel loud seem pretentious or standoffish. Now, don't get me wrong--making a reel loud is not simple. It costs a good amount of money, you need to plan early, learn or get someone who knows how to shoot on film, and arguably the most important--have a good script.

I served as on of the publicity coordinators for Reel Loud this last quarter. We have had workshops and continue to do so on Fridays through the Film and Video Maker's Co-Op. Spring quarter I will be planning the actual night of Reel Loud as festival Coordinator with the Producer (Ryan) and Director (Valerie)...but my mind will certainly always be on the creators of art.

Now why did I start this off by saying "experimental film?" Well I'm sure I will be writing about this more soon, but briefly, I guess from what little I have told fellow film students about my reel loud in pre-production, I am making an experimental film this year. I never saw it as one..I guess I just see it as unstructured and less plot driven than the one I produced last year. (Timon's Friendship Adventure). But rightfully so, this is an experimental film. It's my first time in college writing, let alone directing a film...so yea this will be interesting! (more on that later...)

This spring is a time for everyone to be experimental. Who cares if you have never done production before or if you are not a film major or don't see yourself as artistic. You can join a crew and contribute. Filming is usually no more than a full weekend...so it's a nice taste of what production UCSB can offer with a hint of self motivation and a splash of being pro-active.

experiment
make
create
wonder
share
facilitate

Reel Loud 2008- The Past, Present, and Future of Cinema
Deadline: May 9th
Festival: May 23rd

"making books, making records, playing way to much music and having fun. Doing chores, setting up shows...not being useless...make things make things make things make things..."
-Drum and an Open Window


For more info: lisashapiro@umail.ucsb.edu
or
www.reellouducsb.com

listen to people who make things:

www.cllct.com

1 comment:

Harvey said...

Thanks for this article, really useful piece of writing.
site | here | site