Sunday, March 9, 2008

the presents of days like another

I never really make a big deal about my birthday but I always have amazing one's because my friends are awesome.

Here is a link to some amazing-ness:

http://colinmckenziesdream.blogspot.com/2008/03/happy-birthday-lisa.html

I share this because of a poignant quote in it: "You can't necessarily put these on a wall or frame them, though I know you'll try..."

Some day I'm gonna find an abandoned hut to place all the things I've saved over the years and periodically I'll peruse and remember and embrace the past and the things that still resonate. Until then, I'll have to retreat to labeled office depot boxes up in my closet; separated by year.

This year has been amazing, because most of my gifts were things that my talented friends made for me. (see post: "those things you left behind") Birthday memories are a big part of things I keep and cherish. I love cards and wrapping, and homemade gifts. "This is my art for you" really got to me in the gift linked above.

Birthdays are just like any other day...but you get attention and praise and compliments. I've always been a little shy about attention and would rather keep close to my friends that I hang out with on a regular basis..not really make my birthdays a big deal. It's the surprises and little gestures that spontaneously illuminate my day, which I keep close to my heart. Sharing something that someone cares about or for, with me is really meaningful to me.

Viral gifts, while they do take away from the tangible "framing" of memory, still allow for re-playability, transfer of care across bodies of water (ahem cough), and are a modern, colorful new way of giving a card. I did receive a great homemade card last night from some friends though and it was rather fabulous.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's interesting how a day that gives me the most attention, makes me focus on little intimate and subtle moments, gestures, and courtesies.

My birthday also coincides with the completion of my film...probably the highlight of my year, so how fitting. :)

So as I look at the flowers that I got on Wednesday and hope they never wilt, I can't help but wonder, what would happen if we treated every day as if it was your neighbor's birthday? Yes, here in IV it would result in way too much booze for anyone's good, but really...would we all be a little nicer to each other? Would we share and be more careful with our words? Would we all gain weight from all that ice cream cake? perhaps...but I don't know about you-a birthday every day would kind of be like thanksgiving every day for me, minus the turkey. Slowing down to notice and cherish and take in what you got.

(Recommended listening: Brighteyes- First day of my Life)

3 comments:

alex t. said...

about birthdays being like any other day and such, i've felt that way about valentine's day too, haha. like if you love someone that much, why do people wait for a specific day once a year to show them?

but even though birthdays are sort of like that, i feel it's okay because aside from enjoying each other's presence everyday, it is a day when everyone can celebrate that person's life together and share that happiness with each other. birthdays are fun =)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! I would add that you are undoubtedly a gift to all your friends and all that you touch and will touch over your years walking this planet....making movies and impacting others. Happy happy birthday.

Domenic said...

It can't work in fact, that is exactly what I believe.
homes in austin tx | chicago flower delivery | minneapolis catering