Tuesday, December 25, 2007

around me and you...

Over the last week or so I've been making my compulsive lists of what needs to be done and accomplished and what I have missed over the last year, that in the New Year I will make up for and see, watch, do, experience, listen to, pay attention to, read, or notice.

Next on the reading list, after I complete the 2nd season scripts of Seinfeld, of course, is Miranda July's compilation of short stories, "No One Belongs Here More Than You." I enjoyed her writing, that I can only describe as "awkward intimate weirdness" in her 2005 film, Me and you and Everyone we Know.

Besides the fact that I am looking forward to reading it this next month, and that Erica and I have already decided, she gets yellow and I get pink and we will discuss it over blueberry scones, I guess the reason I am writing this blog is really about her short film that she also made in 2005, featuring her and John C. Reily, "Are you Anybody's Favorite Person." It's four minutes and really strikes up thought.

The tendency for this to possibly make you sad, is natural, but I encourage thinking beyond that. I look forward to connecting the ideas of her films, this book and possibly her other works, and her art work in a way to answer tough questions such as this in a more intimate and personal, yet not self-indulged manner.

Her ideas and ways of making art really intrigue and inspire me. People who know me well are probably thinking that if I'm gonna read something other than the LA times calendar section or film readers, it must mean something. So there you go.

Are you anybody's favorite person?

http://mirandajuly.com
http://noonebelongsheremorethanyou.com/

a brilliant article; email interview with July (which I just found out is not her real name); her brilliance both inspires and intimidates me:

http://www.bombsite.com/issues/92/articles/2739


No comments: