Thursday, December 27, 2007

five of spades to defy gravity

So I had a conversation with this man today. He asked me my birthday and I replied March 5th. Without much hesitation, he took out his worn leather wallet and between a five dollar bill and a neat stack of receipts, he took out a folded piece of paper with a diagram of numbers. Then he said, "5 of Spades". Five of Spades? What does that mean? He continued, "Change. Your life will be full of change and don't be upset with that; it's just what it will be."

In any other situation I would have been a little cautious talking to a random stranger about my birthday and my life but this guy was alright... yes in a kind of odd, "I've seen Wicked 18 times." way, but for some reason I took that to heart. (Oh I forgot to mention that he was in front of me in line for the Wicked Pantages Theatre Raffle.) But anyways, could he have said anything else to me that would have made more sense in my life right now? Change?! (See my previous passage: riding the change).

I mean, yes it would have been nice if he would have said, "You are lucky" and then they would have pulled my name so that I could finally see Wicked! (front row!) But that hour wait, along with about 300 other people was worth while to hear about the five of spades. The funny thing is that I didn't think for a second about who this guy was and what his credentials were to "diagnose" my life. Usually I'd be a bit more logical and overlook this man. But I don't know; maybe I'm changing every day. Five of Spades...I'll take it.

Speaking of Broadway, being at the Pantages (even though I didn't even get to peek inside) reminded me about how excited I am around theatre, especially Broadway musicals. It would have been nice to see it (can I stress how nice it would have been?!) but it was a good reminder that at some point I want to work on a Broadway show..even if it's just a PA. That would be a dream.

I guess for right now I can go to itunes and open up the soundtrack... But here's a "thanks" to that man. Don't know his name; will probably never see him again; and I don't know if I think it's cool or not that he will probably never read this...but even though he didn't do much...he did something.

bottom line--Broadway musicals are magical. I have gotten the message to embrace change. I will never look at a five of spades the same. And I hope to see Wicked at some point before it leaves LA.

Oh and I forgot to mention that other thing the man said when we were chatting about our "odds" of winning: "If are meant to see it, you will." That stuck with me. I couldn't quite grasp it before but this guy reminded me of Clarence from It's a Wonderful Life. He was no angel, of course, but he did make me think.

Ohh and sorry, even though this is coming a year or so too late, I still can't offer you a review of this production if that's what you thought this was gonna be, but I'll see you in line for the Sunday Matinee raffle!



No comments: